Giving birth abroad often requires special paperwork, such as the US consular report of birth abroad.

Giving birth at all (never mind abroad) is an all-consuming experience, so it’s easy to forget the details, such as filling out the proper paperwork. Many countries require documentation proving you’ve had a child abroad, allowing (among other things) for the child to be considered a citizen of your country of origin.

In the US this is called a “consular report of birth abroad,” and there are numerous variations of it across ¬†countries. This is not the only type of paperwork you may need to complete. If you are a UK citizen, for example, and are giving birth in another EEA country you will need an S2 or E112 form showing information such as your expected delivery date, NHS number and travel information.

Best is to begin researching the necessary paperwork far in advance of your due date. This will give you plenty of time to sort out what (if any) paperwork you’ll need to complete and how best to go about it.

Generally you should be prepared to provide:

  • Passport information
  • A national insurance or social security number
  • An EHIC card number (if you are an EU citizen giving birth in another EU country)
  • Travel information
  • The child’s birth certificate

Most countries have specific information posted on their websites–these are a good starting point. Remember that it’s generally easier to get things right the first time than have to amend mistakes at a later date.